Contractual Readmission Program
Effective March 1, 2012
The University of Mississippi has instituted a new readmission policy that will affect students who go on academic suspension beginning in spring semester 2012. The new policy was instituted due to significant changes in Federal financial aid regulations and the elimination of the "second Pell Grant" many students used to fund their summer enrollment. The new readmission policy provides an alternative to the summer option and allows students to continue their enrollment without disruption.
More information for Advisors can be found here: New Readmission Policy (pdf).
An alternative to "sitting out"
Beginning in spring 2012, students that are academically suspended at the end of the semester may continue their enrollment without sitting out a semester by choosing to participate in the Contractual Readmission Program. The Contractual Readmission Program offers additional support to students but requires a higher level of commitment and academic performance in return. This option is available only to students that are academically suspended, not dismissed, and requires an application process.
Contractual Readmission Application (pdf) Please complete the form, initialling each condition, then print and sign. Application can be submitted:
- In person, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Hill Hall Room 105
- By fax, 662-915-1591
- By email attachment, CETL@olemiss.edu
Each condition must be INITIALED and the application must be SIGNED or it will not be accepted.
Students that choose to participate in the Contractual Readmission Program will benefit in the following ways:
- Financial Aid Appeal Assistance – Students will be guided through the process of drafting an appeal to the Office of Financial Aid to reinstitute financial aid for the current semester. This document will include a comprehensive plan for improved academic performance that meets the minimum semester GPA (2.2) required by Financial Aid.
- Academic Advising – Informed by students' major advisor and past performance, counselors will work with students to build a reasonable course schedule that supports academic progress towards graduation. Semester course loads will be limited to 16 credit hours and will be managed via a Contractual Readmission hold.
- EDHE 202, Fundamentals of Active Learning – Just like all students returning from academic suspension or dismissal, students participating in the Contractual Readmission Program will register for Fundamentals of Active Learning, a 2-credit pass/fail course. This course guides three aspects of students' academic behaviors, listed below:
- Dedicated Study Time – Students will be required to log five hours of study time in 201 Hill Hall each week. Students will be encouraged to develop a study routine that supports routine classroom preparation;
- Weekly Planners– Students will be required to submit weekly planners to counselors. Planners include continual monitoring of course grades and self-assessment of academic behaviors;
- Weekly Meetings – Students will be required to meet weekly with program counselors. The purpose of these meetings are to monitor students' academic performance and motivation levels as well as personal issues that could negatively impact grades and progress towards graduation.
Students that choose to participate in the Contractual Readmission Program must agree to certain restrictions and higher standards of academic performance:
- Higher Semester GPA – Students will be required to earn a semester GPA of 2.2 while participating in the Program. This higher standard will help students achieve good standing in a more timely manner and matches the requirement held by the Office of Financial Aid.
- Restricted Course Schedule – Students' schedules will be managed by Program counselors and will be limited to 16 credit hours. Program counselors will work with students to develop a feasible semester courseload, taking into account the advice of the student's academic major advisor and past performance.
- Successful Completion of EDHE 202 – Students must enroll in and successfully complete EDHE 202 as a condition of the Contractual Readmission Program.
- Academic Dismissal – Students that earn 2.0-2.19 are eligible to continue their participation in the Contractual Readmission Program for one additional semester. If a student does not earn a semester GPA of at least 2.0 in their second semester of participation in the Program or does not earn a GPA high enough to put them in good academic standing, the student will be academically dismissed from the University.
Additional information is available as outlined below:
- EDHE 202 Fundamentals of Active Learning – For information on the course required of all students that return from academic suspension or dismissal, see our website.
- Office of Financial Aid – Important information about student financial aid can be found here, including satisfactory academic progress and appeals.
- Office of the Registrar – The Office of the Registrar manages all grades issues and transcripts for students enrolled at the University. Students that go on academic suspension or dismissal are informed by the Registrar's office and all appeals to academic suspension or dismissal are handled through this office.
- MyOleMiss – To access your student file, log into myOleMiss here using your user ID and password. If you have problems, contact the IT Helpdesk.
- Policy Directory – The University of Mississippi Policy Directory is a central location for accessing University-wide policies. It can be accessed online here