Graduate Instructor Excellence in Teaching Award
Sponsored by: Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning with support from the Office of the Provost, the Graduate School and Dr. Johnny Lott.
About the Award: The money award and "golden apple" trophy for exemplary instruction was inaugurated in 2008 to recognize the importance of the teaching role performed by graduate students.
Nominations due: April 1st
Eligibility: Graduate student instructors or teaching assistants who are currently teaching or have taught during the current academic year.
Nominations: The graduate instructor must be nominated by a department, a faculty member, or a set of students from the nominee's class. Complete nomination packets should be sent to the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, 105 Hill Hall. Nominations should include the following items, failure to include these items will hinder the chances of winning:
- A nomination letter (limited to two pages) from a faculty member, a set of students, or a department. Please include specific details that supports generalizations made about teaching excellence.
- One letter of recommendation (in addition to the nomination letter) from a department, class or set of students in a current or previous class taught by the nominee.
- A current resume or vita.
- A list of courses taught.
- A statement of the nominee's teaching philosophy.
- Evidence of innovative or creative teaching practices.
- Any other evidence of distinguished teaching, including student class evaluations, and evidence of student learning.
The selection committee consists of a subset of the CETL Advisory Board and the University Graduate Council. The selection committee will make a recommendation for the award to the CETL.
Recognition: The recipient is presented a Golden Apple trophy at the doctoral hooding ceremony, he/she also receives $1,000. A plaque displaying the recipient's name is posted in the J. D. Williams Library.
Past and Current Recipients:
- 2014 Christopher Schwanke - Mathematics
- 2013 Caroline Turnage-Butterbaugh - Mathematics
- 2012 Eric Bonds - Music
- 2011 Sumedhe Karunarathne - Physics
- 2010 Otis W. Pickett - History
- 2009 Laura A. Williams - Management
- 2008 Ryan Bubalo - English
View more awards...